Tuesday, June 15, 2010


Sunday 6th June was run out of TSB Stadium in Stratford, the rain had set in the roads where super wet, and we had to deal with hills and rail crossings an interesting day was ahead!

Leading into the stage the GC was still pretty close together - anything could happen. The morning stage was a 70km out and back course taking in lots off saddle climbs and rollers and the rain didn’t let up we started out wet and cold with the wind slowly starting to pick up.

The race stayed together for most of the run out to the turnaround but with about 7km to go to the turn a big group got away - all GC riders missing from it but still very dangerous. As I couldn’t cover every single move this was the one I wish I had as they managed to build up a massive lead of around 2min 15 sec, after the turn around I had to step up and take control.

I went about setting a tempo that would close the gap and tempt others into helping lap it out it started to slowly go down.

After the final climb of the day the run into the finish was about 15km of crosswinds - Boom into the gutter it went and the pace was high 60km/h in the left hand side, single file with only the strong making the 2nd chase group with me. We worked hard over the next 15km to bring back the group to just over a min at the finish, I was wrecked from the chase and had dug pretty deep to close the gap - Was it all in vain or had I done enough to hold onto yellow?

The afternoon came up so quickly that I had only just had enough time to dry off, re kit up and have a feed and it was time to hit the road again back out into the rain, cold and wind. In the break between stages I had been informed that yes we had done enough to keep me in yellow by 18 seconds and that a few new players had come back into the GC race.

The afternoon stage was going to be brutal a 50km sprint really, the stage followed the same pattern, attacks chased down and repeated for 40km.

Gordy, Elliot and myself gapped the bunch on the final climb - we rode up there so fast that it blew the race apart and we dug into the bunkers and drove it to the line at 34km/h into a head wind, once again I finished 3rd in the little kick but I had reached my goal of taking back the lost time in the morning and stretching back out my lead on everyone apart from Gordy.

For me Yellow was like winning a stage, the pressure of keeping the lead, is great and with only one stage to go tomorrow I think I can hold on and fight off the attacks,

No comments: